Thursday, April 15, 2010

Fri [April] 15 [sic] [1863]

Brot in morg. reports; Attended Brewtons
funeral -- talked with several recent converts.
Had to wait at cemetery while grave was dug.
Saw three large regt. just arrived as reinforcements
Among them 22. Conn. wh. has one Co. fro. Suffield.
Saw several of our boys & capt whom I knew, had
seen them leave Suffield. Fuller married Miss
Peace -- Col. Burnham of 22 mard. Miss Mary Archee.
We sent 150 men across river to scout last night
Saw some rebs, but accomplished very little
I suppose Helen & Joe were married last night --
While I was sleepg. in ambulance -- a party going on
[word struck through and illegible] Sat for picture, face done,
Rode about 6 miles down river to point near where it
widens -- While Col was eatg. supper in negroe hut
I was by river -- gun boat passed, hailed me -- for a pilot
theirs just mortally wounded by 12 lb Shell from
rebel battery. (Rebs have two batteries [word struck through and illegible] now.)
-- I had none -- a surgeon? no -- shell went thro. pilot-
house, the second pilot killed to day. We are building
bridges & roads to connect forts & batteries -- (Billy Buch
Did'nt get thro. with his religion satisfactory to himself & [-]
told him he would receive what he still needed when baptized --
but he swallowed his tobacco in act 00 & no better. Christie
remarks as I write.) -- our regt. was to be relieved tonight. I
returned about 9 -- with some chickens. vis. hospl.

Col. George S. Burnham of the 22nd Conn.

No comments:

Post a Comment