Sunday, February 7, 2010

[Sunday, February 8, 1863]

morg. ate cold rations with Mr. Holms of Paterson.
Col. [Enoch J.] A[yres] got rgt on board of Str. Jno. A. Warner. fine steamer.
horses & baggage & men all right, lovely day, but cold -- ran
down Potomac about 11 A.M. fine places all along,
about 4. held service -- preached on What must I do to be
Saved -- we felt great liberty in speaking. Col. sd. twas best
discourse I had given since in service -- men seemed attentive.
Got thro. just as we entered Chesapeake Bay. Calm night
dined on board all officers -- Capt. very polite
to me -- attended service -- In night ^'he' sent for my
telescope -- Anchor made nice bed for Col. A & me --
About midnight -- anchored in Hampton Roads, had prayers
before retiring. Christie pointed out several curious
& remarkable places. In P.M. called R. [Dr. Riley?] aside & renewed our
friendly relations -- since Friday night interrupted. We both felt
better -- I preached better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment