Monday, January 4, 2010

Sun [January] 4 [1863]

A review of 9th Army Corps was ordered for today
I felt it was a desecration of the day, & sat down &
wrote a respectful appeal to Gen. Burnside to postpone
it, & sent it by Jacob. The Gen was in bed, ordered Jacob
to wait -- wrote me an autograph letter. Asked Jacob
if he belongs to same regt. with me -- sd. yes -- you
are sure -- yes sir -- then give him this

Rev. F. E. Butler
My dear Sir
I have just received your
kind note, and most cheerfully grant your request.
The order postponing the review has been sent.
You have my most sincere thanks for giving me
so timely, and necessary a check. You are quite
right in saying that nothing should be done
to interfere with the religious exercises which
are so necessary to the success of our cause, and
which it is our duty at all times to observe --
Yours very sincerely
Signed -- A.E. Burnside.

The order soon came countermanding the review,
& the regts. had a day of rest. I preached in P.M.
on Rejoice in the Lord Phil 4:4. In his character, providence
& Promises -- to Xs & Sinners --&c. Prayer meetg. in Eveg. three
requested prayers -- lovely day & night -- but high wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment