Tuesday, December 15, 2009

[Saturday December 13 1862] 4 P.M.

It is almost 4 -- Battle very hot in
front -- heavy musketry -- roar & booming -- Our troops bow to the flying
shells -- Co. G has had a man wounded. Indeed several of our men
have been slightly hit. The enemys entrenchments in front are
strong. About sunset an just after our regt. was in I followed
in rear. Shot & shell flew over me. I found a wounded boy
took him to a surgeon -- left him returned to front. twas sd. our
men had carried enemys batteries -- loud talking -- in front just
then a tremendous volley of musketry came. I was near R.R. I fell
flat on this side -- & heard a shower of bullets whiz past & close by
for some minutes -- Our men were falling back -- Our men were
falling back. I returned to wounded boy -- & found one of our Lts.
slightly wounded -- Helped both off -- twas a hard job. I was very tired a
[?] -- reached our house took little supper & returned after looking in at
hospital to field. Jacob with me -- very dark -- found our regt. on R. R. very
cold -- I gave them coffee, went along whole line -- batteries near by but
silent. Regt. ordered back to town -- I went to left -- & saw that all were
awake -- & brot. off -- also some of other regts. one I uncovered thinking
him wounded was dead. The field covered with blankets & haversacks -- I
left field with last of our regt went to hospital found many of our men
some badly wounded -- a fearful, painful sight -- Met. Col. D[errom]. Made list of
wounded -- gave them water, coffee (even whiskey) by direction of Surgeon --
Staid till late helping & comforted them.
hospital to

No comments:

Post a Comment