Tuesday, November 24, 2009

[November] 25 [1862]

Cloudy towards Eveg. Brig. drill in P.M. read, wrote
letters, visited sick -- talked personally with some --
a bright young Englishman came to my tent, under
serious impressions -- talked questioned & prayed
with him, he seems in hopeful state.
Burnside is moving towards Richmond -- Will
Lee & Jackson follow or dash in on us & Washington
by Arlington heights -- I have often wished I had
kept a record of my [frail] (ink spot) barometric of the war
atmosphere -- For nine tenths of time I have
been very hopeful -- but lately from long inaction
of Army -- depression of depreciation of govt. money --
(i.e. rise of coin) democratic victories in No.
I begin to feel discouraged a little -- now
fr. statement that Govt. debt will be only about 800,000,000
July 1863. fact of rise in rivers -- completion of our
enormous iron clad fleet & the movement of
Burnside -- the wretched state of rebel army I
feel as if God would yet speedily give us the
Victory -- joined with Pres. proclamation, of
freedom to slaves of rebels 1st Jany. only 6 weeks more.
A soldier recd. a letter of 22d saying Mr Hornblower was
dead -- I knew it could'nt be true, but it gave me a
dreadful shock -- a letter from Jane D[errom]. about Cols. health --
dated 24 -- reassured me --

No comments:

Post a Comment