Thursday, September 24, 2009

Saturday [September] 27 [1862]

Told Col. Derrom I would accept --
The regt. is made up largely of Paterson men --
the Col. -- Lt. Col. & Quartermaster are members of Mr.
H's Ch -- & known to me -- also many of other officers &
men -- some fr. my own ch.
Col. D. sd. another man had been named by 3 Cos --
fr. So. Jersey -- & handed in with list of staff officers --
to him -- He said he preferred a Paterson man. Some
one named me -- another named Mr. Robinson --
both good sd. he -- I would like either -- prefer Mr Butler
have power to decide -- but won't take responsibility
Let providence decide -- Put names of Mr.s B & R --
in hat & man drawn shall be man -- A Roman
Cath. Capt. drew -- & my name was drawn --
Made some calls &c -- Abe Henry called
showed me tower of mill -- Gave me
Beauty -- if I would take her for horse.
At 3 1/2 began Ser Psal 17:15 -- wrote it in
about 3 1/2 hours between that & 11 P.M.
Also attended Meetg of Officers at Col D's.
& called at Mr. H's. Lovely day -- tried
a horse for Col. D --
and so this eventful week ends --
I am glad to go under the Pres. Proclamation
May the Lord bless & guide us & our country
to his glory for Jesus sake --

No comments:

Post a Comment